Saturday, May 5, doors at 2 p.m.
Tickets available at The Royale, $8 in advance, $10 day of (per availability)
3132 So. Kingshighway @ Juniata
What you need to know before joining us this weekend:
1. The Kentucky Derby is an annual horse race, held on the first Saturday of May. For background, you can access the event’s website here.
2. They don’t let the same old horses run every year, though. Here’s a list of this year’s field.
3. Though the practice is not one we employ at The Royale, it’s popular in some quarters to bet on the horses, to win, show, or place; which is to say, finish first, second or third. In order to make sense of the winning potential of these animals, odds are created.
4. In addition to the racing, the Kentucky Derby “experience” also involves a degree of appropriate attire. For the attendees. Ladies often wear hats like these.
5. And men wear shirts and ties, even rocking the classic seersucker suit.
6. If unsure if your own closet offers the requisite look, may we invite you to consider our neighborhood ally, The Vintage Habadashery? Or Cherokee’s Retro 101? The Loop’s Devil City? Or even the Galleria’s Brooks Brothers?
7. On a lovely spring day, there’s nothing wrong with cocktails like a peach schnapps and Coke. But we’d recommend that you drink the traditional accompaniment to Derby Day carousing, the mint julep.
8. To help you pass the time between our 2 p.m. opening and the 5:24 post time, we will offer the musical sounds of the Trip Daddys…
9. … and the sounds of The Lulus.
10. We will also offer, for the second straight year, a bit of mouseracing. Please know that our mice and track are unaffiliated with any other mouseracing promotions in St. Louis.
Maybe it’d be easier to go with visual evidence: